In this article you can read about the benefits and uses of protein. Whey protein is a supplement widely used by athletes. It provides for the synthesis of muscle proteins and promotes muscle growth. It also helps your muscles to recover after an intensive workout.
But protein powder is not only important for athletes. Even if you want to lose weight, it is useful to take a protein shake daily. One protein shake equals eating 10 eggs or a whole chicken.
So that’s an easy way to get your daily amount of protein if you’re aiming for rapid muscle growth or if you want to lose weight.
The problem with protein powders is that there are so many different brands available online, making it difficult to make a choice. We have made a top 10 for you of the best protein powders available, so that the choice is a little easier for you.
Powders for building muscle mass, weight loss or even vegan protein powders: we have it in our list.
The 10 Best Protein Powders For All Athletes Among Us
1. Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard
This protein powder is from the Optimum Nutrition brand and is the best-selling whey powder on the market. It is available in 11 different flavors (e.g. toffee fudge!) And 4 different sizes. If you are looking for a complete protein powder, this is the best choice for you.
It contains whey isolate and whey concentrate (explained at the bottom of the article). It has a very high protein content and it contains 5.5 grams of the essential BCAAs (explanation at the bottom of this article). It also contains only 1.4 grams of sugar per 30.5 gram scoop.
- Best sold in the range of protein powders
- Available in 11 different flavors and 4 different sizes
- Most complete protein powder
2. Myprotein Impact Whey Isolate Proteine 2500g
This is a whey powder made from the milk of grass-fed pasture cows. It’s a whey isolate, meaning it’s made from 100% milk, in addition to added flavor. Easily absorbed by the body, so a post-workout protein shake will help your muscles grow and you lose weight.
Available in no less than 10 different flavors, but you can also order a flavored version. You can also order various sizes, from 1000 grams, 2500 grams and the bulk package of half a kilo. It is low in fat and it contains less than 1 gram of carbohydrates.
- Available in 10 different flavors, also without flavor
- Whey isolate, for weight loss and muscle building
- Made from milk from pasture cows
3. Nutri Plus Natures Protein Powder
This protein powder is without sweetener, based on natural protein from chocolate! It promotes muscle growth and all essential amino acids are added. A low-fat and low-sugar product without added sugars and is gluten-free.
This really is an optimal protein shake for a low-carbohydrate and / or low-fat diet for both men and women, even if that seems crazy when it is made of chocolate. It is also halal and free from genetically modified ingredients.
- Chocolate protein powder
- Ideal for a low-carbohydrate diet
4. Nutri-Plus Protein Powder
This Protein powder is available in surprising flavors, such as cookie dough, chocolate peanut or iced coffee. The protein shake has a very high protein content, namely more than 80%. It is also free from added substances such as aspartame, colorant, gelatin or preservatives.
It is also free from genetically modified ingredients. It mainly focuses on muscle construction. This protein shake is free of lactose, suitable for halal use and tested in a laboratory. Take it twice a day, preferably after a workout.
- Free from lactose
- Excellent choice for people with lactose intolerance
- Surprising flavors
5. Nutrend Deluxe 100% Whey Protein Powder Shake
This Nutrend product is a 100% Whey Protein powder. It is available in different flavors, including a delicious strawberry flavor. It is gluten-free.
This whey powder is mainly intended for athletes among us who exercise intensively and who are focused on muscle growth and dry training. You preferably use this protein powder immediately after training. It promotes muscle growth and recovery and is primarily intended for cutting.
- 100% Whey Protein Powder, gluten free
- Mainly intended for intensive athletes
- Promotes muscle growth and muscle recovery
6. Nutrend Mass Gain Protein
This protein powder is aimed at gaining weight, so when bulking. In addition, it is aimed at muscle building. It can be used well after intense workouts, but you can also use it as a last light meal before the workout.
This whey powder gives you an intense amount of energy, so that you will deliver better performance. If you are an intensive athlete who does a lot of strength training and likes to see your muscles grow, then this is an ideal product for you.
- Ideal for gaining weight
- Focused on muscle building
- Good for bulking
7. PBN Vegan Proteins
This protein powder from PBN (Premium Body Nutrition) is made from only ingredients that are suitable for vegans. This is one of the best choices if you are a vegan. You can choose from banana or chocolate flavors.
One package contains 33 scoops, which means that you can use it for a little longer than a month. If you take a look at the ingredients list, you can see that all kinds of vitamins and minerals have also been added, such as iron, zinc, vitamin B12 and vitamin A.
- Best Vegan Protein Powder
- Best choice for vegans
- Added vitamins and minerals
8. Scitec Nutrition Whey Proteïne
This professional whey powder is a combination of whey concentrate and whey isolate. These terms are explained at the bottom of this article. It is a powerful protein supplement that is great for muscle building.
It has a very high protein content and it is enriched with extra digestive enzymes and amino acids. What’s really nice is that it comes in all kinds of surprising and original flavors, such as lemon cream pie, strawberry white chocolate, chocolate chip cookies with chocolate cream and peach yogurt, just to name a few. It is available in three different sizes.
- Very good whey powder for muscle building
- High protein content
- Original flavors
9. Reflex Nutrition One Stop Xtreme
This protein powder from Reflex Nutrition is a high-quality all-rounder in the field of protein supplements. It has been developed to meet the supplement needs of intensive athletes such as bodybuilders.
This protein powder fulfills that need. It is a whey powder made from the milk of grass-fed cows. Suitable for vegetarians (not vegans). The nice thing is that you get a shaker with it.
- All-rounder, especially suitable for bodybuilders
- Suitable for vegetarians
- Shaker included
10. Nutri-Plus Vegan Peas & Rice Protein Powder
This protein powder is produced from peas and rice and has a very high protein content and promotes muscle growth. The great thing about this product is that few extras have been added.
Also free from soy, gluten, lactose, milk protein, sweetener, food coloring, palm oil, gelatin, additives and genetic engineering. It is also suitable for vegans. This protein shake is also available in different, original flavors, such as cookie dough or chocolate gingerbread.
- Promotes muscle growth
- Free from all kinds of additives
- Suitable for vegans
The Main Benefits Of Taking Protein Powder
As you will have already understood, taking protein powder has many benefits. We have listed the most important benefits for you here
- First of all, whey powder is very helpful in promoting muscle growth. If you go to the gym a lot or do your push-ups fanatically at home, you want to see results. A protein shake a day makes your muscles grow.
- Protein powder can help you lose weight and fits very well in a low-carbohydrate diet.
- Protein powders give you extra energy, which you could use right before a workout. That can give you better performance.
- Protein shakes are best used after a hard workout to promote rapid muscle recovery. This means that the breaks between workouts are shorter and you achieve a faster effect in less time.
- Whey powder can also help you gain weight. There are specific powders for the really fanatic athletes who want to deliver intensive physical performance and are going to bulge for it. A well-chosen whey powder can support you in this.
- Protein powders can help lower blood pressure. Research has shown that protein powders cause a slight decrease in blood pressure. This is very important, because high blood pressure increases the risk of cardiovascular disease.
- Whey protein has been shown to be effective in lowering blood sugar. So it can play a supportive role in type 2 diabetes.
- Protein shakes reduce the feeling of hunger. If you often suffer from uncontrollable binge eating, protein powder can help you with this.
- The intake of whey powder can help maintain lean muscle mass. You may exercise less for a while. The last thing you want is the loss of your carefully built muscle. Take a protein shake every day and you will keep your muscle mass longer.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Protein Powder?
Protein powder is a powder that contains proteins. Protein is essential, especially if you exercise. When you exercise, you get tiny damage to the muscle tissue. With the help of proteins, the muscles are restored and thus muscle growth takes place.
So you need extra protein if you exercise and a lot of protein if you exercise intensively. Protein powder, or protein powder, provides these proteins in the form of a supplement. One protein shake a day is roughly equivalent to ten eggs!
What is the difference between whey concentrate and whey isolate?
You will occasionally come across the terms whey concentrate and whey isolate on the various whey powder supplements. The difference is not that big, but the whey isolate contains more proteins.
This is especially useful for the dropouts among us. Whey concentrate contains more substances that are good for your health. The so-called bioactive peptides have a positive effect on your immune and nervous systems.
What are BCAAs?
BCAA is a term that you regularly find on a jar of whey powder. In short, it means that the most important amino acids for muscle growth are present.
How often should I take a protein shake a day?
The recommended amount is indicated per jar of protein powder. Usually that is one scoop per day. You can easily add a scoop of protein powder to your coffee, tea or oatmeal (if it has no flavor!) Or you can make a tasty shake if your whey powder has a taste.
You do this by filling a shaker with water, then adding a scoop of protein powder and shaking vigorously. It tastes like a milkshake.
How long does protein powder last?
Protein powder can last for a long time, especially when properly stored according to directions, such as in a cool, dry place. Most protein supplements don’t last longer than a few months, so you don’t have to worry about getting out of date.
If you have already made a shake with the protein powder, you should consume it within a day. Preferably you use the protein shake immediately after making it, because then the protein powder is still at its best.
As the information in this article shows, it is very wise to take protein powder as a supplement on a daily basis. It promotes muscle growth, it helps you lose weight and it supports muscle recovery. It can also support type 2 diabetes and high blood pressure.
Proteins are an essential part of your daily diet, but often you cannot get a lot of extra protein. Then a protein shake can offer a solution.